It often seems that there’s a lot of emphasis placed upon healthy “looking” skin, but without a healthy diet, your skin and face won’t actually be healthy. The facts: diet plays a critical role in skin appearance, along with good sleep and regular exercise.
Along with healthy food, choosing healthy beverages is just as important. What we drink plays a critical in the overall health and appearance of the skin.
Water is the number one choice for hydration and is essential for all of our bodies functions. Sometimes another beverage choice is desired, so its wise to choose drinks with great benefits.
When you choose sugary drinks, you are depriving your skin of the nutrients it needs. The best choices are beverages that are fruit and vegetable juices and milk.
Let’s review some beverages (in no particular order of effectiveness) that can pay great dividends when it comes to the real health of our skin, not just, how it looks.
- Green Tea
- Pomegranate Juice
- Carrot Juice
- Lemon Juice
- Orange Juice
1. Green Tea is high in key antioxidants called catechins and polyphenols that protect from UV ray damage. Catechins and polyphenols help reduce redness and fight inflammation that really shows on the skin.
2. Pomegranate Juice has more polyphenols than green tea that help nurture fibroblasts in the skin, which are responsible for making collagen that helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
3. Carrot Juice is an excellent choice of beverage for your skin health. A rich source of Vitamin A, it helps fight free radicals to slow the aging process, and this means less wrinkles.
Antioxidants found in carrots help to prevent and restore damage to cells. Carrot juice also helps to protect your skin from the damaging UV rays of the sun. Carrot juice helps reduce blemishes, help counter uneven skin tones and keeps the body and skin well hydrated. These benefits of carrot juice helps achieve that young and glowing skin.
4. Coffee: Great news for you fanatics out there, studies show real tangible benefits for healthy skin as a result of coffee consumption. Harvard studies have unveiled that daily coffee consumption protects against both cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.
There is an even more hands-on means of utilizing coffee for glowing skin as well. The actual grounds can be placed on the skin as a means of exfoliation, ridding your face of dead skin cells.
5. Milk is a rich source of riboflavin or Vitamin B12 that supports beautiful glow from the inside out, by promoting skin radiance and improving its clarity. The vitamin A in milk promotes cell growth and its protein content supports collagen production for firmer, younger looking skin. Topically, milk is a great natural skin cleanser, toner, moisturizer, and anti-aging agent.
6. Soymilk, also high in the aforementioned vitamins and proteins, is proven to not only lower bad cholesterol (LDL), but also raise good cholesterol (HDL), which is great news for our hearts. Healthy levels of cholesterol are reflected in healthy skin.
7. Lemon Juice: When life gives you lemons, make juice and drink it. The vibrant fruit contains dietary fiber, iron, magnesium, and lots of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is a key antioxidant that prevents premature aging on the skin caused by oxidative stress.
In addition, by managing acidity in the skin through alkalization, lemon juice helps the body to restore and maintain a healthy pH balance, which aside from general health, leaves the skin looking healthy as well.
A natural diuretic with antibacterial properties, lemon juice also flushes the body of toxins, which further allows for healthier skin. Coupled with the fact that the aroma provides therapeutic value, you can’t go wrong with a tall glass of lemon juice. Used topically it also makes a great skin toner and astringent.
8. Orange Juice: Much like milk, orange juice has long been a dietary staple, possessing a myriad of health benefits and vitamins, most notably vitamin C. While there are internal benefits of drinking orange juice, it also offers some for the skin and its appearance. Physically applying orange juice to one’s face helps to clear clogged pores, and consequently, reduces acne, and even wrinkles.
All of these healthy and tasty beverages provide numerous benefits for your physical health and the overall appearance of your skin.