Auto Immune Protocol ( AIP) is a diet that reduces inflammation, pain, and other symptoms caused by autoimmune disease like lupus, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) , celiac disease and rheumatoid arthritis.
AIP diet is strict as it’s aim is reducing inflammation and pain. The diet allows you to eat :
- Meat (preferably grass-fed) and fish.
- Vegetables, excluding nightshade vegetables.
- Sweet potatoes.
- Fruit in small quantities.
- Coconut milk.
- Avocado, olive, and coconut oil.
- Dairy-free fermented foods (such as kombucha, sauerkraut, kefir made with coconut milk, or kimchi)
- honey or maple syrup in small quantities
- green tea, nonseed herbal tea
- bone broths
- grassfed gelatin and arrowroot starch.
Foods that’s not allowed :
What foods to avoid if you have an autoimmune disease?
During this phase, foods like grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, nightshade vegetables, eggs, and dairy are completely avoided. Tobacco, alcohol, coffee, oils, food additives, refined and processed sugars, and certain medications, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) should also be avoided.